Save Our Sisters book: An Afterword

It was such a privilege to have the opportunity to compose an afterword to some of the inspiring story of God's grace in and through the lives of these young women captured in the pages of this book.  You can check out more of their story at www.saveoursisterstoday.com.  You can order a copy of the book here...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?
Micah 6:8



My first exposure to modern day slavery was during a trip to Southeast Asia several years ago.  I had heard about the issue of human trafficking, but its seemingly distant reality had yet to awaken me to really consider its atrocity.  That changed one Sunday morning when I stepped out of a Tuk Tuk in the outskirts of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.  

Our tour guide, who served as an investigator for a local NGO, began to describe our surroundings and the plight of the vulnerable living in that community.  He shared stories of children, even as young as five, being pimped out at night for the purpose of sexual exploitation only to return home with an unspoken expectation to continue on as if everything was normal.  Tragically, for many, that was their normal.  The investigator continued on, subtly pointing out the presence of a few known pimps seated outside in the distance who were eyeing our movements.  “Be careful not to take pictures in that direction,” he instructed with a slight head nod, “so as not to raise suspicion.”  

I tried to take all the sights in. There were children everywhere.  Some were laughing and joining in with the Sunday School class that was meeting on the street just outside a former brothel.  Some were curious yet wary of the activities, bearing what appeared to be an outward display of an inward wounding. One little girl stood out to me as she leaned against a wall in a corner watching what was going on around her.  She stood downtrodden with her arms crossed wearing what looked to be pajamas. Even now as I write, tears flood my eyes and questions flood my mind.  Was she being exploited?  Did she know that our Heavenly Father created her in His image and loves her?  It was a haunting sight. 
Upon my return home, I began to prayerfully seek the Lord’s guidance.  I needed help to process all the things I had seen and heard abroad.  That assistance, I knew, could only come through the lens of God’s Word and the work of His Spirit.  What was I supposed to do with all that I had heard and seen?  The temptation toward feeling overwhelmed was real.  One morning I sat at the piano with my Bible opened up to the book of Isaiah. The words from the pages of chapters one and fifty-eight poured forth in sync with a melody as an attempt to capture the twirling emotions within me.  It became a song of release and a prayer of conviction.

I hear Your voice as You call me out of comfort
To loose control for the glory of Your Name
I'm letting go of this self-centered thinking
Lord, I need Your help to walk as Your Word says,

Seek justice
Rescue the oppressed
Defend the orphan
and plead the widow's cause

I hear Your voice calling me to action
To not stand idle in this world of desperate need
I lift my hands offering my all to you
For Your Name and Your Renown
is the desire of my soul

Seek justice
Rescue the oppressed
Defend the orphan
and plead the widow's cause

Is not the fast You choose?
To go and feed the hungry
To be Your hands and feet to everyone around me
To care for the broken-hearted
Showing mercy to the least of these
So that Your great name will be praised!

Seek justice
Rescue the oppressed
Defend the orphan
and plead the widow's cause

Will you seek justice?
Rescue the oppressed?
Defend the orphan?
And plead the widow's cause?

The issue of human trafficking is not a new phenomena.  We can read about it in the book of Genesis. Recall the story of Joseph in chapter thirty-seven.  Fueled by jealousy and hatred, Joseph’s brothers stripped him of his robe and threw him into a pit.  Then, they sold him for twenty shekels to a band of Ishmaelite's passing by.  They bought him and trafficked him to Egypt.  Once Joseph arrived there, a captain of Pharaoh’s guard by the name of Potiphar paid to bring him into his home as a slave.  Thankfully, the story does not end there.  Instead, we observe God’s sovereign purposes unfold as he eventually uses Joseph to preserve his people. 

Although there is nothing new under the sun, we live in a period of history where the number of slaves today far exceeds the number of slaves during the course of the entire trans-Atlantic slave trade. As you have read in the preceding pages of this book, there is an ongoing problem of buying, selling, and abusing persons made in the image of their Creator.  You have read an amazing story of God using a handful of teenagers to form an organization that seeks to not only raise awareness of the problem of human trafficking, but also work to create a place for rescue and restoration in the country of Moldova.  The question remains: what will you do about it?

When I was confronted with that question for the first time there were several thoughts and doubts that arose in my mind.  I was not a lawyer, a social worker, a law enforcement officer, or any other profession seemingly suited to the task.  I did not possess the skills or credentials that one would think was necessary to do something.  What could I do to affect this global problem? One of the organizations I had connected with during our time in SE Asia was the International Justice Mission.  Through further reading of their work, I quickly learned and resonated with their belief that foundational to the work of justice is that of prayer.  I might not be professionally trained as a first responder but I could certainly pray.  

The more educated I became on the issue of modern day slavery, the more opportunities I discovered to do something.  Doing something has looked differently alongside the ebb and flow of life’s seasons and responsibilities.  Some of the ways I have been able to get involved has varied from building awareness through speaking to churches, to providing respite in our home to survivors of domestic minor sex trafficking, to lobbying members of congress for stronger legislation, to utilizing social media platforms like blogging in order to share information, to leading prayer gatherings, to mentoring young adults and to teaching my own children about our great God of justice. With my own handful of teenagers living under our roof these days, a lot of my justice advocacy is found in the need to further disciple our own kids in what it means to be imitators of God as beloved children.  

God is a God of justice who invites his people to be instruments of his righteousness until that glorious day when he returns.  On that day, he will wipe away every tear.  He will make all sad and evil things come untrue.  He will make all things new.  Until that day arrives when we see him face to face, we can rest in the knowledge that the same power that raised Christ from the dead is at work within us.  God empowers his people through the work of Jesus on the cross and the power of the Holy Spirit to proclaim liberty to the captives.

Everyone can do something. What will your something be?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To blog or not to blog, that is the question...

Vulnerable: Rethinking Human Trafficking (A Book Review)

Ethiopian Adoptions - Ways to Help