If Only...

If only counseling others and parenting children were this simple...
This clip makes me laugh.  Part of what is so funny is my ability to relate to it.  Sometimes when I'm in a counseling or parenting situation, I just want to say, "Stop it!"  This is particularly true when it comes to my kiddos and helping them through some of the things they deal with or their negative behaviors that need correcting...

Additionally, isn't it interesting that when you have a lot going on, you have a lot more going on?!.  My fleshly inclination when I start to become overwhelmed with things (like preparing to move next week!) tends to be this desire to just want to eat a snack and put a happy movie in...one that doesn't involve people or animals dying or anything real dramatic... haha.  Last night when I was finished praying with my kiddos and tucking each of them in, one of my girls broke down crying.  She shared how she kept having bad dreams and needed to listen to music in order to fall asleep.  She said she kept dreaming about vampires.  She was so cute yet so torn up about it.  Despite my heartbreak over her despair, my flesh response wanted to be like, "What?!.  Vampires?!. Well... just stop it!"

Aren't you glad our Heavenly Father doesn't deal with us like we tend to want to deal with others?  Instead, He displays grace and mercy and patience towards us and He equips us to do likewise by Him, through Him and to Him...  Remembering Paul...

"I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, 
because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, 
though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent.  
But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 
and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith 
and love that are in Christ Jesus.  The saying is trustworthy 
and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came 
into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.  
But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, 
Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those 
who were to believe in him for eternal life.  
To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, 
the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever.  Amen."
1 Timothy 1:12-17

I confess, I wanted to dismiss my daughter's struggle and go about my business, but chose otherwise.  Instead, we spent 45 minutes together talking through her vampire dreams among many other, deeper things.  A sweet and precious time... So, this morning, I'm humbled again.  And, I'm grateful.  I have received mercy and grace...

"You hold my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, 
and afterward you will receive me to glory. 
Whom have I in heaven but you?  
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.  
My flesh and my heart may fail, 
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever... 
But for me it is good to be near God; 
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, 
that I may tell of all your works."
Psalm 73:23b-26, 27

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To blog or not to blog, that is the question...

Vulnerable: Rethinking Human Trafficking (A Book Review)

Seriously, September?!.