#Rest2016

My Hope Rests in Him...
"For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him.  He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.  On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God..." Psalm 62:5-7

The year 2016 has taken off quickly.  The month of February has particularly been busy with five events on top of our regularly busied life.  My plan is to share a little about those opportunities in the coming weeks, as I attempt to reenter the bloggersphere.  Those are my plans.  Time will tell...

"The heart of man plans his way but the LORD establishes his steps." Proverbs 16:9

By God's grace, when the busyness of February came to an end, I was able to retreat to the beach with a few friends for rest.  What a sweet time of much laughter, deep talks, and eating chocolate.

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 
"The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him."
The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.
It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.
Lamentations 3:22-26


I found myself toward the end of last year on the precipice of burnout.  There were varied contributing factors, but the largest one was grief.  While Casa Merida maintained it's regularly fast paced rhythm of life, the ripple effect of loss began to wear away.  I was not prepared for the manner in which it would impact me.  Memory loss.  Fatigue.  Sadness.  Impatience.  Disconnect.  And so on...

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling...
"Be still and know that I am God, I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"
The LORD of hosts is with us; the God os Jacob is our fortress."
Psalm 46:1-3,10-11


I took some time off and a step back.  I sought counsel from those closest to me.  I evaluated ways to strategically rest.  

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and your will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30

Ultimately, my rest comes from Christ alone.  As Saint Augustine wrote, 

Our souls are restless until they find their rest in Him.

Though my eternal rest is secure in Him, my daily rest must also come from Him.  This I know.  However, there is a war for my mind, body, and soul.  This requires active pursuit and not passivity.  My war strategy and my battle tactic must be: more of Him and less of me.  Let me just tell you how refreshing that is!  

"I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.  For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.  You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." 
Psalm 16:8-11

The ebb and flow of grief, joy, trials, and blessings all require the same thing...

Draw near to God (James 4:8)
Be reconciled to God (Ephesians 2:13-18)
Seek the things that are of God (Col. 3:1-2)
Trust in God versus self (Proverbs 3:5-6)

"Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.  It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones." Proverbs 3:7-8

Be refreshed by God.

I am refreshed and renewed today by spending time admiring something bigger than myself.  

"Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us.
Psalm 62:8


Looking forward to sharing more.  Praying you find rest for your soul in the One who cares for you.  Will you join me for #rest2016?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To blog or not to blog, that is the question...

Vulnerable: Rethinking Human Trafficking (A Book Review)

Seriously, September?!.