Considering Adoption?

"The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.  The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.  I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.  I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken... You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." Psalm 16:5-8, 11

For the record, I am not an adoption expert.  I did not set out to become a "family model for those considering adoption." In fact, I tend to get a bit uncomfortable with that imagery particularly for two reasons.  First, we are a fallen people who mess up and do so quite frequently.  Thankfully, our God is a God of grace.  He gives more grace.  Grace to walk in the works that He has prepared for us beforehand (Ephesians 2:10).  Secondly, adoption is not about us.  It was never about us.  It was always a part of God's plan.  God's vertical adoption of us for His glory and our good...

"But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.  And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"  So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God." Galatians 4:4-7

 For those who don't know our horizontal adoption story, we traveled to Ukraine to adopt 1 or 2 children as young as possible under age 4.  God's plan for us was much bigger: 4 children ages 4, 6, 7 and 9.  Shortly thereafter, another older child from Ethiopia.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9   

I can only share from the experiences along the path the Lord has graciously set before our family, coupled by the truth of His word which is ultimately where counsel can and should be found.  God's word AND with the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, our Helper, Comforter, Counselor...  

"I (Jesus) will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him.  You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.  I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 15:16-18 *emphasis mine*

If you are seeking insight to the adoption process and have no idea as to where to begin, here are a few brief thoughts to assist you (thoughts I've actually copy/pasted from a recent email reply I'd sent to sweet friends who then requested I post it).  Hope this is helpful...
  
Pray: for clarity and direction as your research, as well as discernment into possibilities of "from where"

Discover: Ultimately, you'd want to find a reputable organization holistically as well as within the particular country they work in... we used Celebrate Children International for our Ethiopian adoption because their director had a great reputation for knowing each of the children and working honestly, as well as communicating up front the reality of the Ethiopian adoption process.  Lifeline Children Services was fabulous in those same regards regarding Ukraine.  They were always up front with us even when the reality of the adoption process was sometimes hard to hear, etc...

Decide: Once you know where you want to go, then choose your agency and they will guide you.  Some people can also decide to use a private adoption lawyer for domestic adoptions. 

Remember:

"The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD... Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established.  The LORD has made everything for its purpose,... The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps." Proverbs 16:1, 3-4a, 9
Thanks be to God.

Our God reigns.  He reigns over the details.  

Our God is faithful.

Our God provides.
Adoption is not for everyone.  In other words, not everyone should adopt.  Also, you should not feel guilty about the very real possibility that you might fall in that category.  However, you should and must do something for the plight of the fatherless.  Why?  We serve a great and gracious God who largely identifies Himself as "Father of the fatherless and protector of widows" (Psalm 68:5a), who calls His people to "learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause" (Isaiah 1:17), and who is worthy of our worship, not just words but lifestyle worship. 

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." Romans 12:1

Remember: as you have been shown mercy, go and do likewise...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To blog or not to blog, that is the question...

Vulnerable: Rethinking Human Trafficking (A Book Review)

Hele on to Hawaii