Waters of Rest...

Rest seems to be eluding us here on the home front these past few weeks (and weeks to come)...
 Joshua is well into his first experience playing parks and rec basketball.  
 He is really beginning to understand the game and make good plays, despite needing to work on ball handling skills...
 One thing is for sure, he looks like a pro in these pictures.  I cannot help but smile.  
 We had a snow dusting over night that caused a two hour delay for school the next morning.  The kids were ecstatic!
 James is enjoying playing trumpet in middle school band.  He has a wonderful band director.  Last Saturday, I took him to the music store to learn how to clean his trumpet... 
 He absolutely loves taking things apart and putting them back together again...
 Tony traveled to Florida over the weekend to preach so, the kids and I decided to head north to Virginia after worshiping with our IDC family since they were out of school a couple days...
 Our kiddos are such good travelers.  It doesn't hurt when they are beyond excited to see family.
 Mom and Dad have bought a home on Lucas Creek off the Warwick River in Newport News in hopes to downsize and retire.  We made it in time for a glorious sunset...

 It took no time at all for my kiddos to make themselves at home, the comedians that they are...
Monday morning I joined my sister, Amanda, at her church in order to rehearse for an upcoming women's conference they're hosting in Williamsburg.  I have the honor of helping her and one of her friends lead musical worship for the retreat...
I returned after lunch to get some work done (buying a house is quite the paperwork overload in addition to other event preparations!) with my snuggle buddies.  Titus, of course, is always Mr. Snuggles.  Joy was also at my hip most of our stay.  
 Grandpa had put my kiddos to work!  They loved it!  Well, my Ukrainians did more than my sweet Ethiopian.  James and Jana particularly loved working outdoors.  One person had wanted to charge $480 to rake up leaves.  Are you kidding me?!.  My kiddos had a blast helping out.  "Will work for ice cream" was their motto, ha ha...  


 My grandparents (mom's parents) are living in a transitional living facility 15 minutes away.  So, mom and I made a quick trip to say hello.  My grandfather was not feeling well, sadly.  It is sad watching your loved ones age.  My grandmother always, rain or shine, comes to her balcony to wave farewell.  They used to do this when they lived in their house on Sugar Hill.  Precious. 


 Monday evening, following baths, grandma helped James work on his book report...
 Titus enjoyed the new rug in the living room...

Tuesday morning quiet time view... glorious.
Tuesday morning it was time to utilize the empty dining room space and hard wood floors...
Dance presentations...  all enjoyed, though James has reached the 'embarrassed teenager' stage, ha ha...



 After breakfast (and dancing) we headed to Hanes' furniture store to help pick out living room furniture and entertainment center.  Next time we visit we'll have more places to sit, relax and take in the view...  Following a quick bite at Chicfila it was time to hit the road home for North Carolina.  What a blessing to live within a few hours of family.  Wish our Kentucky loved ones were closer though...  A new job possibility may bring grandparents and cousins closer to each other thereby making a one stop visit to see everyone attainable. Time will tell.  Meanwhile, we simply praise God for the gift of family.   
This Wednesday morning I was struck afresh by Psalm 23 from my daily reading.  When I saw it listed as today's psalm, I confess my initial thought was one of over familiarity.  However, in the Lord's grace, the very first line read like a fresh drink of water to my soul...

The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not 'be in want'...

He is with me and He is everything I need.  When I am overwhelmed with my 'to do' list...

He makes me lie down in green pastures.  
He leads me beside 'waters of rest.'
He restores my soul.
He leads me in 'right paths' for his name's sake.
even though I walk through the 'valley of deep darkness,' 
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

He is with me and He is everything I need.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; 
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
'Only' goodness and 'steadfast love' shall follow me all the days of my life, 
and I shall 'return to dwell' in the house of the LORD 'for the length of my days.'

God is with us, leads us, restores us, protects us, disciplines us, comforts us, teaches us, fills us up both today and forevermore!  May we draw near to Him and He to us amidst the busyness of this life.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To blog or not to blog, that is the question...

Vulnerable: Rethinking Human Trafficking (A Book Review)

Ethiopian Adoptions - Ways to Help