Family and Farewells...

Good night, good night! 
Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow.
(Pictured above: my girls in the waiting room of Vidant Medical Center in Greenville, NC)

Our family said farewell to a beautiful woman this month, Joan Rosaline Meadows O'Neal.  My dad's sister.  My sweet aunt.  At the funeral, (or more appropriately) the celebration of life service, Tony shared an illustration from our recent ten year wedding anniversary trip.  He shared of the evening we set sail from Fort Lauderdale on a cruise ship, went to bed and then woke up, looked out the window and beheld the Caribbean in all its beauty.  He likened that to the passing from death to eternity for the Christ follower.  To the believer, death is like going to sleep here and waking up, not beholding the Caribbean, but a Galilean…someone infinitely greater... Christ Jesus our Savior.  
 I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to visit a few weeks ago with Aunt Joan before she went home.  It was difficult to see her struggling as her body was failing.  In spite of it, she maintained a gracious sense of humor.  It was inspiring and convicting.  She joked with the nurse through her breathing apparatus about whether or not there was any possibility of getting a piece of chocolate cake or a sprite to drink.  I love her...
 (Above: Dad and I taking a break from the hospital room. Below: quick overnight at our place before returning to the hospital)
 Here are a few pictures to enjoy…
High School Senior picture
 Brother and Sister

 Joan's birthday at mom & dad's last November...
 Mother and Daughter
(BJ - love you!)
 Wedding day


 I took a couple pictures of pictures (obviously)… Here is Joan's beloved granddaughter, Sara...
 As well as beloved grandson, Chris...
 Some of Chris' buddies came to the viewing and then offered a ride in the fire truck.  My kids were ecstatic!
 Cousins









Tony had asked Dad about the possibility of preaching from Aunt Joan's bible.  Dad picked up the one shown below first. When he opened it up, he found our wedding announcement stuffed between the pages.  Precious.
 I played piano and led a few songs for the service.  One of the four was specifically requested by Aunt Joan: Room at the Cross, her favorite hymn.  I also sang Amazing Grace, I'll Fly Away (one Tony specifically remembered singing the first time he met her… she'd come to visit my family while on vacation in the Outer Banks… we were newly engaged… before she left we gathered around and sang songs including that one), and finally, the chorus Amen (every week after the service, my Aunt would stand up and start the Amen chorus)... I confess I had to discipline my mind and not let it wander down memory lane in order to maintain composure.  From where I sat on the piano bench, I could nearly reach the place where my Aunt sat regularly in the choir loft.  Once, a long while ago, I remember having had the privilege of sitting beside and singing alongside her.  Sweet tears of joy.  I love her...
 The sweetest thing about funerals is seeing family.  This side of the family we rarely see.  We are tired of farewells though.  We look forward to the Reunion, that glorious Day when Christ returns… when we shall see Him as He is… for here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come….





 Family is a blessing.  Farewells are difficult.  But, as Christ followers, we grieve not as ones without hope.  "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.  For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God.  For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.  For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.  And not only the creation but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.  For in this hope we were saved.  Now hope that is seen is not hope.  For who hopes for what he sees?  But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience…" Romans 8:18-25
(It's all I could do not to just quote the entire chapter!  I encourage you to go back and read it.  Such hope.  Such encouragement!:-)

These kinds of farewell faces are the best:
 Smiling loved ones...

Room at the Cross
The cross upon which Jesus died
Is a shelter in which we can hide
And its grace so free is sufficient for me
And deep is its fountain as wide as the sea.

Chorus
There's room at the cross for you
There's room at the cross for you
Though millions have come, there's still room for one
Yes there's room at the cross for you.

Though millions have found him a friend
And have turned from the sins they have sinned
The Savior still waits to open the gates
And welcome a sinner before it's too late.

Chorus

The hand of my Savior is strong
And the love of my Savior is long
Through sunshine or rain, through loss or in gain,
The blood flows from Calvary to cleanse every stain.

Chorus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To blog or not to blog, that is the question...

Vulnerable: Rethinking Human Trafficking (A Book Review)

Hele on to Hawaii