Praying for Wisdom

"Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!...

He turns rivers into a desert,
springs of water into thirsty ground,
a fruitful land into a salty waste,
because of the evil of its inhabitants.
He turns a desert into pools of water,
a parched land into springs of water.
And there he lets the hungry dwell,
and they establish a city to live in;…

Whoever is wise, let him attend to these things; 
let them consider the steadfast love of the LORD."
Psalm 104: 1, 33-36, 43



I am grateful for the steadfast love of my Abba Father…

These past several months have been one of the more demanding seasons of my life.  The second semester of homeschooling, in particular, brought with it an array of new challenges and trials, especially with parenting my oldest child.  It was a semester of dealing with fear of failure, anger issues, blatant defiance and grief…behaviors that we continue to wrestle with…behaviors that send us to our knees for discernment and help… behaviors stemming from brokenness, sinfulness and rebellion... and with these behaviors, a stirring up within me shades of emotions or thought patterns never personally having to confront before…or even knowing existed?!.  Isn't it interesting how parenting (and/or certain relationships) brings to light the sinfulness of our own hearts?!.  It is painful.  I confess, I am only now "getting over it"… if you will…confronting it… or perhaps a better description would be "healing" from it… or dare I admit, "repenting" of my own sinfulness...


How?  Time and Scripture.
It is a process.
It requires a sanctifying work of God's Word in Scripture and heart surgery by the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling within me.  Not to mention the part of the process that requires confession, humility, teachability and plain ole repentance from me… I have so not arrived.  

This summer our Imago Dei family has been going through the book of Proverbs.  A book of wisdom from the King to his son.  A book contrasting the wide and narrow roads.  A book contrasting the world's anthem "follow your heart" with wisdom's call to "fear God."  A book breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness…which is able to make us wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus (2 Tim.3:15-16). 

With this study a familiar and favored childhood Scripture passage resonates even louder today:
"Trust in the LORD with all our heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths."
(Proverbs 3:5-6)

Even more so today for me are the two verses that follow:

Be not wise in your own eyes; 
fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh 
and refreshment to your bones."
(Proverbs 3:7-8)


 (These pictures are my children with sweet children of a friend…preciousness)


 (Oh, and here is my firstborn child….so much easier to parent…ha ha…more like 'canine therapy'…)

I am not going to share the details of these challenging several months.  Instead, I will simply share a few of the things God is revealing to me requiring His guidance… 
"If you love me, you will keep my commandments.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him.  You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.  I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you…the Helper, the Holy Spirit…will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do i give to you.  Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." John 14:15-18, 26-27

Two books I'm reading through slowly and using as additional tools to help identify my sin and walk in repentance are:
and

The chapter that stung first in the former talked through the different types of moms we can be.  The author (Wilkerson) describes 3 different types/roles we can fluctuate between or lean towards, etc…: 

Manager Mom - I embrace the lie that I can help myself.  Manager Mom's goal?  To accomplish.

Martyr Mom - I embrace the lie that no one will help me.  Martyr Mom's goal?  To sulk.

Meek Mom - I embrace the truth that God is my helper.  Meek Mom's goal?  To depend on Jesus.

She then asks the following questions for reflection:
1. When burdened and overwhelmed with responsibilities, what kind of person are you?
2. How does weakness tempt you in your relationships?
3. What does joy characterize your heart?
4. How might you embrace your weakness and God's strength?

In short, I definitely err on the side of authoritarian parenting and become manager mom.  I tend to put my children and their needs on 'to do' lists justifying that by the demands of having five children with busy lives.  So when my children don't 'perform' or follow my set of expectations or behave outside of my perimeters of control my sinful and prideful heart firsts want to operate out of my "own understanding"… But the grace of God...I hear the truth of scripture speaking deep within my soul, "be not wise in your own eyes…set your mind on things above, not on earthly things…My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness…be still and know that I am God…repent…seek My face…."




Though McGlothlin's book is geared toward praying for boys, there are truths and challenges that can be applied across the board.  The chapter I've stopped to swim in for awhile is the chapter on praying for wisdom…

I wish I could share all the things I've been journaling about, but I have my 5 children plus a friend's little boy (who is about to get up from his morning nap) in need of lunch!  So, before sharing the particular prayers for wisdom listed in the book I will simply say, "I highly recommend both of these books."  

PRAYERS FOR WISDOM
May _____________ be like Solomon and ask You, God, for an understanding mind and the ability to discern between good and evil (1 Kings 3:9)

May __________ find wisdom and therefore find life (Proverbs 8:35).

May __________ be like the wise man who fears You, Lord (Prov. 14:16)

May __________ get wisdom and insight (Prov. 4:7)

May _________ listen to the way of wisdom and be led in the paths of uprightness (Prov. 4:11)

May __________ discern and follow wisdom that is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial, and sincere (James 3:17)

May __________ say to wisdom, "You are my sister," and call insight his intimate friend (Prov. 7:4)

Lord, may ___________ be filled with the knowledge of Your will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding (Colossians 1:9)

May ____________ look carefully in how he walks, not as unwise but as wise (Ephesians 5:15)

May _______________ hear Your words, God, and do them, like the wise man who built his house upon the rock (Matthew 7:24)

 (New haircuts)

"Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered." 
Proverbs 28:26 

"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."
Proverbs 31:30

Heavenly Father, apart from Christ I can do no good thing.  Help me, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to walk in wisdom for the good of my marriage, my children, the Church and for the glory of your great name! Amen.


"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." Romans 15:13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To blog or not to blog, that is the question...

Vulnerable: Rethinking Human Trafficking (A Book Review)

Ethiopian Adoptions - Ways to Help